WeChat is a cross-platform instant messaging service developed by Chinese company Tencent Holdings Limited. WeChat has over 1 billion accounts creates, with over 700 million active users worldwide. WeChat is available on Android, iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, and Symbian devices as well as web.
- WeChat Out calls – make calls to landlines and mobile devices around the globe at very low rates (only available in specific regions). Users can make affordable and high-quality calls using this feature.
- Multimedia Messages – Image, video, text, and voice message support.
- Free Voice/Video Calls – Free high-quality calls to anywhere in the world.
- Group Chats/Calls – Chat with up to 500 people and group video call up to 9 people at once.
- Stickers – over 100 free stickers to help you express your feelings in the form of cartoon characters and movies.
- Photo Stream – Share your favorite moments on your personal photo stream.
- Meet People – Find nearby people and make new friends.
- Real-time Location – Use real-time location so people don’t have to ask where you are.
- Multi-Language Support – Localized in 20 languages. You can also translate messages to any language you prefer.
WeChat Tips & Tricks
WeChat has some nice features that some people might find cool to use over those features of WhatsApp and Viber. If you’re a new WeChat user you might not be aware of all these features, so we put toghether a short list of tips and tricks you can use to get the most out of your new app.
One thing that we like about WeChat is the ability to use your computer to chat with your contacts. Simply visit web.wechat.com on your computer to begin. Then, you scan the QR Code on the website with your app to sync the two temporarily.
Every message will be synced between your computer and your mobile device. Chat history will not be shown on your web browser, but you can view opened chats. You can also initiate new chats with people on your WeChat contacts list.
Transfer Files with WeChat Web
You can transfer files < 10MB from your computer to your device with WeChat web. This supports files like .mp3, .pdf, .mob, .docx, .ppt, and more. You can also send large pieces of text to yourself through this method.
Upload and Send Video to Moments
Sharing video on WeChat is pretty simple, but here’s how you can share videos on Moments.
- Enter a chat room and click the + at the bottom, then tap Video
- Select Take Video, or Choose Video
- When the video is done uploading, hold down on the screen in the chat room and choose Favorite
- Go to WeChat main menu and tap on the navicon and tap Favorite Messages
- Tap on the video you just favorites and tap on the navicon and tap Send to Moments
- Fill in the blank with a message of your choice and tap Send
Select which friends can see your Moments
- Go to Discover > Moments
- Tap the camera icon on the right and go to Take Photo or Choose Photo
- Tap Share to… and tap on My Groups
- Select new group, and select which friends you want to allow to see the update
- Tap Name and name your group, then Save > Done
- Go to the Sharing Page and select the new group
- Go back to your Moments page, complete your update and tap Send
Block People from Seeing Moments
- Go to WeChat and Settings from the main screen
- Privacy > Don’t Share my Moments
- Tap the + and choose whcih friends you don’t want to share Moments with
Quickly Enter Names
When you’re in a group conversation, you can use the @ sign to pull up a list of names of everyone in the chat room. You can then select someone from the list of names – this is sometimes quicker than typing out their whole name.
Certain keywords can make Confetti fall from the top of your chat screen if you’re in a chat room. Everyone in the room can see this when it is triggered. You can view a full list of secret WeChat falling emoticons on the official WeChat blog. Special holiday falling emoticons are also available!
Find Me By Phone Number
Anyone can look you up by your phone number by default on WeChat. If you’d like to turn this feature off, here’s how you can do it:
- Choose Settings from the main screen
- Go to Privacy and tap on Find Me By Phone Number to disable it